The Cataloging Services Unit Leader participates in library management, strategic planning, and library-wide staffing, workflow, and problem-solving as a member of the Law Library Management Team. The librarian has primary responsibility for ensuring timely and effective intellectual access to the Law Library collection in all bibliographic and physical formats and languages following national and internal standards.
The Cataloging Services Unit Leader:
- Leads, manages and coordinates the work of the Cataloging Services Unit including:
- recommending staffing levels (librarian and paraprofessional) and work schedules; hiring, training, evaluating and supervising those who work in the Unit;
- directing and coordinating the work of the Unit;
- coordinating and participating in all cataloging and metadata work including the creation of electronic resource and institutional repository records;
- setting Unit policies and procedures and coordinating work with other units and subunits;
- keeping abreast of and utilizing current technologies and trends that anticipate, meet or exceed the research needs of the Law Library’s primary users;
- creating and/or updating manuals and forms.
- Acts as the primary resource for establishing unit and inter-unit policies and procedures, acts as primary source for unit effectiveness, resolves unit and inter-unit problems and answers questions from other units relating to the specialized functions of the Unit.
- Participates in Library Management System maintenance including participating in administration of the library management system, using the system to create statistical reports, and joint responsibility for database maintenance.
- Participates in complex serials management including interpreting, revising, and maintaining records for complex legal continuations.
- Participates in evening and weekend rotation at the Law Library Reference Desk.
- Serves as a member of committees and working groups.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the Assistant Director.
Supervision Exercised: Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over one librarian and 2 paraprofessional staff.
Salary: $55,000 minimum, salary dependent on education and experience plus benefits worth 28% of salary.
Available: Applications accepted until February 15, 2017. To be considered all documents must be received by February 28, 2017.
A complete application requires the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references; indicate professional relationship with each
- A list of all post-secondary schools attended
- Copies of transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended; official transcripts are not required
To apply: Email to Search Committee, University of Michigan Law Library, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application documents 1-4 combined into one PDF document
- Copies of all post-secondary transcripts combined into a second PDF document
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.