As the Applications Team consists of 3 - 4 team members, the Applications Manager is a technical “working manager” who supports and improves critical business and technology processes by managing the administration, enhancement, implementation, and maintenance of critical, firm-wide applications including, but not limited to Office Applications, Document Management, Departmental Applications, and non-standard applications. This position directs multiple projects and operational initiatives; oversees staff to ensure that specifications are accurate and that deliverables meet the approved specifications; ensures that processes and procedures are defined and followed to ensure quality, timeliness, and effective resource utilization; mentors, develops, and recruits department staff.
Applications support varied and includes: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Interwoven DeskSite/FileSite, Best Authority, Litigation Support applications, Lexis, Westlaw, WorkShare, TimeBuilder, Elite Webview, Metadata Assistant, and various departmental applications. Provide leadership and support for Exchange/Lync Messaging & Citrix/VPN Remote Access Services as well as tactical day-to-day system administration of the Firm’s primary software systems that are critical to daily workflow. The candidate will need to be able to wear multiple “hats” and be able to collaborate with all IT personnel and users (including senior lawyers) across offices in identifying problems, concerns, areas for improvement, and obtaining resolution of same. Under minimal supervision, this position designs and implements solutions, monitors, maintains, troubleshoots and optimizes system performance utilizing systems management tools. The position is highly technical but the ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and customer focus skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
“Essential Technical functions” are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
- Collaborate with IT Apps Team to evaluate, recommend, maintain, troubleshoot and implement all firm-wide applications including the integration between applications when necessary.
- Provide level 2 end user support for internal Help Desk.
- Off-hours availability for consult and direction regarding critical application issues.
- Work with vendors and 3rd party integrators to deliver customer application solutions.
- Other highly complex problems from other staff members.
- Provides primary or backup application administration duties on other firm systems as required.
- Enhance efficiency and management of applications and operational tasks through improved design, configuration, and automation.
“Essential Managerial functions” are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
Manage all administration, maintenance, upgrade, and support activities for applications in area of responsibility
- Mentor, develop, and recruit department staff
- Define and promote processes and procedures to improve the quality and stability of supported applications
- Direct preparation of functional specifications, design documents, data flows, business process flows, product evaluation and selection, and deployment plans
- Oversee projects and/or requests being led by team members. Locate and adjust resources as appropriate to ensure quality and timeliness of deliverables
- Ensure that all escalated User Support cases are assigned and addressed on a timely basis
- Advise team members on resolution of problems and / or issues pertaining to applications under area of responsibility, including off-hours support.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key administrative department managers to ensure that communication is open and ongoing and that technology needs are being addressed. Manage expectations on project scheduling and delivery based on multiple priorities. Ability to effectively prioritize, manage and execute multiple responsibilities in a high pressure environment.
- Establish and maintain business relationships with vendors of hardware, software, and related services critical to the efficient operation of the department.
- Maintain functional proficiency in industry and firm-standard software, hardware and related technologies necessary to provide consistently evolving, superior levels of professional support.