Date: January 11th, 2017
Title: Staff Attorney
Hiring Agency: CUNY Citizenship Now!
Location: Mi Familia Vota offices in Denver, CO and Las Vegas, NV.
The City University of New York’s Citizenship Now! is the largest university-based naturalization assistance organization in the nation. Our attorneys and paralegals offer one-on-one consultations to assess participants’ eligibility for legal benefits and assist them in applying when qualified. The National Initiative will build on CUNY Citizenship Now!’s proven model of providing cost-effective pro se legal assistance through strong partnership and volunteer utilization, in underserved counties in Arizona, Colorado and Nevada.
Mi Familia Vota has integrated local organizing, leadership development, advocacy and building broad community partnership with voter engagement work. Comprehensive immigration reform, education, healthcare, worker’s right, climate change and the environment, and voter rights have been the core issues at the heart of local and national work, The results has been a deep connection with the local Latino community and a strong sense of empowerment from voters.
Utilizing our experience for cost effective service delivery and capacity building, as well as the close links to the Hispanic community of Nevada and Colorado; Citizenship Now! will hire and train local immigration attorneys and paralegals to provide free immigration consultations and citizenship application assistance with a focus on assisting Latinos on their path to U.S. citizenship.
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will provide onsite supervision of the provision of legal services, overseeing naturalization application assistance and legal consultations on immigration-related matters. The attorney will be based in the greater Las Vegas area where s/he will supervise the work of paralegals/administrative assistants.
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will provide onsite supervision for legal services, overseeing naturalization application assistance and legal consultations on immigration-related-matters. The attorney will be based in Denver, Colorado. S/he will supervise the work of legal assistants based at her/his office and remote locations of partner organizations using Citizenshipworks software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsels participants on all immigration law and related issues
- Assists participants in the completion and review of application/petitions
- Reviews and authorizes release of applications and petitions completed by paralegal staff
- Ensures that staff and volunteers are complying with work policies and procedures
- Conducts immigration workshops and seminars to benefit staff, participants, and targeted communities
- Interprets immigration laws, rulings, and regulations for staff and community partners
- Analyzes complex immigration case types eg. criminal convictions and fraud
- Ensures data and reports are compiled on the services rendered
- Reports regularly to the Managing Attorney on the provision of services and outreach to the community
Additional Duties May Include:
- Conducting immigration workshops and seminars to benefit staff, participants, and targeted communities
- Participation in and promoting CCN! banner programs such as the annual Call-In training and Call-In week, the Citywide event day, CUNY Month events as well as impromptu events to respond to community needs (e.g., DACA & DAPA, TPS, etc.)
- Willingness to work on weekends and/ or occasional evenings