Dentons US LLP is currently recruiting for two (2) Division Directors to work with our Regulatory and/or Transactional divisions and be resident in our New York, Chicago or Washington, DC offices. The Division Director is the lead business services role with primary responsibility for spearheading the Division's day-to-day business operations. Working closely with the Division Chair and Chief Practice Officer, as well as with Practice Leaders from within the Division, this role is critical in executing and delivering against the Division -- and the Firm's -- strategic plan while driving revenue and increasing profitability. This is a fast-paced, hands-on role with diverse responsibilities that include strategic planning, budgeting and analysis, strong understanding of law firm economics, metrics, information management, and communication. The Director will serve as an integral part of the Division's leadership team and will report jointly to the Division Chair and the Chief Practice Officer.
• Support Division Chair in facilitating the development and implementation of the Division's strategic plan and ensure alignment and integration with the Firm's overall strategy.
• Collaborate with Chief Practice Officer and other Division Directors on firmwide and cross-
• Monitor industry developments and keep Division practitioners apprised of new developments, trends, tools and solutions affecting their practice.
• Foster communication across the Division and offices. Through regular communication, proactively identify issues and facilitate resolution.
• Monitor timekeeper utilization across the Division ensuring effective deployment. Identify timekeeper performance and productivity issues and recommend strategies to improve performance; work with Division and business services leaders to address issues.
• Serve as Division staffing resource. Create staffing and resource plans and work with partners to execute upon recommended strategies.
• Monitor weekly reports and ensure compliance with Firm policies on time entry -- elevating significant issues.
• Monitor professional, business development and probono efforts to ensure each individual's investment of time is spent in the best interest of the Division and the individual's goals.
• Identify operational efficiencies through process improvement and utilization of technology.
• Attend Division and Practice meetings, preparing summaries of action items and tracking follow-up.
• Partner with the Business Development on the planning, development and execution of
• Partner with the Business Development on strategic initiatives and ensure alignment of business development and marketing resources to the needs of the Divisions and the Practice Groups within.
• Provide assistance as required on pitches and RFPs.
• Provide oversight and management of Division-specific operating expenditures.
• Partner with the Division Chair, Practice Leaders, and the Marketing/Business Development leaders to address Division-related items during annual budgeting process.
• Review monthly income statement and other financial reports. Provide robust analysis and insights to the Division Chair centered on productivity, workflow, leverage, revenues, billings, and accounts receivable.
• Review and analyze financial reports to assess profitability, identify trends and make recommendations to improve profitability.
• Collaborating with the Finance Team, assist with preparing client and timekeeper profitability analyses.
• Monitor accounts receivable and aged work-in process; working with the collections, Division Chair and partners assist in addressing past due receivables.
• Compile, track revisions, and periodically report variances for annual expense, operations, and salary budgets.
• Create, manage and track matter budgets for clients, pitches and RFPs. Prepare budget deviation analyses. Work with Director of Pricing and US Fee Team on coordinating, developing and tracking AFA arrangements.
• Work with Pricing Team in setting annual billing rates.
• Work with Division Chair, Human Resources, Recruiting and Professional Development on recruiting, retaining, and developing legal talent.
• Work with Division Chair to approve hiring requests for contract attorneys, lateral associates and non-attorney timekeepers. Set annual compensation and billing rates. Work with HR and Recruiting on drafting employment agreements.
• Provide input on the attorney evaluation and promotion process - participating in annual associate and partner reviews. Develop business cases for proposed counsel and partner promotions.
• Work with Division Chair to review and provide input on annual compensation decisions across all Division attorney and non-attorney timekeepers.
• Work with Professional Development to develop and update experience tracks and to identify and implement professional growth and training programs across the Division.