The University of Michigan Law Library seeks a Reference Librarian to join our highly engaged and collaborative team of librarians dedicated to providing excellent and innovative services to law faculty and students. This opportunity is an excellent one for librarians interested in developing or strengthening their management and administrative skills. Applicants who have passed a U.S. bar exam are strongly preferred.
The University of Michigan Law School has 82 full-time and 57 part-time faculty, and approximately 1,000 JD, 40 LLM, and 7 SJD students. With over 1 million volumes, the Law Library has one of the world’s premier collections. The Law Library also has one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of foreign, comparative, and international law materials. The University of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, which is considered among the best places in the United States to live, work, raise children, and acquire an education.
Those who will have earned both required degrees by September, 2017 are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Head of Public Services, the Reference Librarian will have the following reference and research responsibilities:
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the Reference Desk operation. The librarian will be responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and scheduling approximately 10-15 law students to provide reference service.
- Provide reference service in all areas of law for all jurisdictions, as well as in non-law subject areas.
- Participate in the evening and weekend rotation at the reference desk.
- Provide research instruction sessions in classes and individual or group research consultations.
- Collection development in assigned area(s).
- Participate in outreach efforts to law students, including exam coffee break, therapy dogs, and newsletters. Work with Head of Public Services to plan and implement new outreach efforts.
- Create research guides.
- Fill in for other reference librarians and provide back-up supervision for other functions during vacations and other absences, as needed.
- Complete research for law faculty as needed.
- May be assigned other duties.
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the Head of Public Services.
Supervision Exercised: Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over 10-15 student employees.
Salary: minimum $63,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications; benefits worth 28% of salary. Librarians at the University of Michigan hold academic appointments.
Available: Applications accepted until May 15th, 2017. Applications considered upon receipt.
A complete application requires the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references; indicate professional relationship with each reference
- A list of all post-secondary schools attended
- Copies of transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended; official transcripts are not required
To apply: Send by email to the Search Committee, University of Michigan Law Library, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application documents 1-4 above combined into one PDF file
- Copies of all post-secondary transcripts combined into a second PDF file
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For a complete job description, please see: https://www.law.umich.edu/library/about/Documents/jobs/RefLib_10-16.pdf
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.