To serve as counsel to and advocate for FM Global in all matters assigned by the Vice President, Sr Counsel Americas and assist in guidance to other in-house legal staff as required. This includes monitoring legislative and regulatory developments as well as identifying trends and developing knowledge and skills to support same. The successful candidate will be well positioned to interface with and advise senior management, corporate functions, and operations on complex legal and regulatory matters that may impact company direction and policy. Exercise of excellent judgment and high-level strategic-decision making are central components of this position. Examples of expectations for the successful candidate: devise, lead, and deliver trainings on topics such as code of conduct, data privacy, employment law, and cyber security; provide corporate and governance advice in compliance with local legal requirements; draft and review producer and brokerage agreements; participate in governmental affairs and liaise with trade associations; advise on policy contracting and termination matters, including reinsurance and captives; prepare requisite regulatory forms and filings; draft and review consultant, vendor and service contracts; and various compliance activities. Advise on employment law matters and workplace issues. Provide input on budget process.
• Deliver timely and effective legal assistance to Americas except policy defense, litigation and subrogation matters which are handled by Litigation Division.
• Monitor, influence, analyze and assure compliance with new or pending legislation, regulations and cases relative to their potential impact across Americas.
• Support HR with employment law inquiries and workplace issues.
• Analyze for senior management the legal exposures of the Company and make recommendations to reduce exposures to liability or to loss of company rights and assets. Initiate or encourage proactive policies, procedures and strategies in this regard.
• Assure that Company operations are within the limits prescribed by law
BA/BS and JD with admission to at least one state Bar
10+ years in law firm or corporate legal department experience
Range of general corporate legal experience, preferably in a P/C insurance environment
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to translate complex legal issues into meaningful guidance taking into consideration business considerations
Ability to quickly analyze information and make sound, concise and strategic decisions
Proven competency in handling multiple competing priorities
Our sole focus is commercial property insurance. Through a mutual partnership, we engineer solutions that keep your business going and growing strong. By using scientific research conducted exclusively for property risk, we can build your business resilience, together.